DOH Health Advisory on Leptospirosis
Humans usually acquire leptospirosis when they get in contact with water or soil that has been contaminated with the urine of an infected animal.
What are the symptoms of Leptospirosis?
- High Fever
- Muscle aches especially of the calf
- Abdominal pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Red eyes and chills
- In its severe form, leptospirosis causes kidney damage, liver and respiratory failure, and meningitis.
- Early recognition and treatment within two days of illness to prevent complications of leptospirosis, so early consultation is advised by the DOH.
- Antibiotics duly prescribed by a physician.
Prevention and Control
- Avoid swimming or wading in potentially contaminated water or flood water.
- Use of proper protection like boots and gloves when work requires exposure to contaminated water.
- Drain potentially contaminated water when possible.
- Control rats in the household by using rat traps or rat poison, maintaining cleanliness in the house.
DOH Bicol Hotline:
- (052) 204-0040
- (052) 742-1731 local 508
Source: Department of Health Bicol
You may want to read: