The Nagcarlan Underground Cemetery, a National Historical Landmark, was built in 1845 as a burial space for the town’s elite. It served as a meeting place for Filipino soldiers in the revolution against Spain, as well as a hideout for guerillas in World War II.
The Nagcarlan Underground Cemetery in Laguna was built in 1845 under the auspices of Franciscan Fr. Vicente Velloc, as a burial space for the town’s elite. During the revolution against Spain and the war against the United States, the cemetery served as a meeting place of Filipino revolutionaries. Similarly, the cemetery served as a hideout for guerrillas resisting Japanese occupation in World War II.
The octagonal campo santo is enclosed by stone and brick walls. A massive arched gate and brick walkway lead to the chapel that has semi-circular side wings that form the aboveground recessed niches. Inside the chapel, beside the main door, is the entrance to the underground crypt, which has a vaulted ceiling and two grilled windows, at level with the chapel’s upper grounds, providing light to the interior. The crypt features a simple altar and 36 niches.