The Philippines has a new ombudsman in the person of Samuel Martires.
Samuel Martires will served as ombudsman for a term of 7 years without
9 Interesting Facts About The Office Of Ombudsman
- An Ombudsman must be at least 40 years old and natural-born citizen of the
- An Ombudsman must be a lawyer and of recognized probity and independence.
- An Ombudsman must have been prior to appointment a judge or engaged in the
practice of law for ten years or more.
- An Ombudsman must not have been a candidate for any elective office in the
immediately preceding election.
- An Ombudsman can not hold other office or employment.
- An Ombudsman can not engage in the practice of any profession or in the active
management or control of any business which in any way may be affected
by the functions of his office.
- An Ombudsman can not be financially interested, directly or indirectly, in any
contract with, or in any franchise or privilege granted by the government
or any of its subdivision.
- An Ombudsman can not run for any office in the election immediately succeeding his
cessation from office.
- An Ombudsman can investigate on its own or on complaint by any person, any act
or omission of any public official,employee,office or agency, when such act or
omission appears to be illegal, unjust, improper or inefficient.
Samuel Martires, the new ombudsman is a former Supreme Court Associate Justice.
President Duterte appointed Samuel Reyes martires because according to him,
the new ombudsman is strict, bright and a fair man.
Samuel Martires is President Rodrigo Duterte’s first appointee in the Supreme
Before his appointment to the highest court of the Philippines, he served as
an associate justice of the Sandiganbayan or the Anti-Graft court for 12 years.
During his tenure in the Supreme Court, he voted in favor of martial law
in the Mindanao, the continued detention of Senator Leila De Lima, the ouster
of the former Supreme Court Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno and upheld the
plunder acquittal of former President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo.
Samuel Reyes Martires will decide on the ill-gotten wealth case against Paolo
Duterte and the Duterte Family bank account investigation.