San Felipe Neri Church Mandaluyong
San Felipe Neri Church stands at the heart of the old poblacion of the city of Mandaluyong. It is dedicated to St. Philip Neri as its primary patron, with the Immaculate Conception as its secondary patroness. The church was established by the Franciscans in 1863, a few years after the town of San Felipe Neri (old name of Mandaluyong) was separated from Santa Ana in 1841. Before that, Mandaluyong was a part of the vast Hacienda Madaloyon that was owned by the Augustinians. The old Casa Hacienda house is now part of the complex of Don Bosco Mandaluyong.
The name of the town of “Mandaluyong” or “Madaloyon” comes from the Tagalog word “daluyong” or waves, referring to the waters of the two rivers that converge near the town – the Pasig River and the San Juan River. Mandaluyong was once an agricultural town, renowned for its laundry washers, as well as the involvement of its people in the Philippine Revolution of 1896.
Today, the city is one of the richest in Metro Manila and is renowned for its commercial areas such as the Ortigas Center. Through it all, the church of San Felipe Neri has remained standing, a silent witness to the growth and development of Mandaluyong.
“El Pueblo de San Felipe Neri y Hacienda de Mandaloyong
You may want to read: