Calle Observatorio (Calle Padre Faura)
The street was first known as Calle Observatorio, after the Manila Observatory of the Jesuits which was located in the street.
The Manila Observatory was established in 1865. It provided scientific data such as weather forecasts as well as seismological data. In 1901, it was recognized by the Americans as the Philippine Weather Bureau. It became the leading institution in the country for typhoon warnings, weather forecasting, astronomical observation, and seismological data. The observatory in Ermita was destroyed in 1945 during WW II. It relocated to the Ateneo de Manila Campus in Quezon City after the war.
The street was renamed in 1897 after Padre Fedrico Faura, SJ., who was instrumental in the development of the Observatory. Faura was also an instructor to Jose Rizal back when Rizal was studying at the Ateneo. Faura died in 1897.
(Calle Observatorio) Calle Padre Faura Landmarks:
- Philippine General Hospital,
- UP Manila Campus,
- Supreme Court Complex
- Solidaridad Bookstore
You may want to read: