The old cemetery of San Joaquin, Iloilo was built in 1892 and is one of the most well-preserved cemeteries in the Philippines, especially its imposing mortuary chapel, decorated with stone carvings of floral and leaf patterns.
The San Joaquin Cemetery in Southern Iloilo was built in 1892 under the auspices of Fray Mariano Vamba, who was the last Augustinian parish priest of the town. The Baroque-style gate features a statue of Jesus Christ with outstretched arms, flanked by two angels, guarding the cemetery. Meanwhile, the cemetery is surrounded by a stone wall with wrought iron fence and niches occupied by statues of saints.
Perhaps the best known feature of the cemetery is the imposing mortuary chapel, decorated with classical motifs and crowned with a pointed dome.