La Loma Cemetery is a National Cultural Treasure for its historical, cultural, and artistic value. A number of historical figures were buried here, while it was one of the few Spanish sites in Manila that survived World War II.
Campo Santo de La Loma is the oldest cemetery in Manila, opened in 1884, and originally known as Cementerio de Binondo. It was an exclusive burial ground for Catholics during the Spanish period. Back then, being laid to rest in consecrated ground was held high by society. Therefore, Spanish officials threatened Filipinos with the indecency and humiliation of being denied burial here if they were even suspected of rebellion.
In the 54-hectare property bloomed mausoleums, tombs and structures that display the evolution of architectural designs and styles from the late Spanish era to the present. The centerpiece is the century-old funerary chapel dedicated to St. Pancratius, more commonly known as the Lumang Simbahan. It was used as a fort by Filipino fighters during the Philippine-American War and, along with the rest of the cemetery, survived from the ruins of World War II.