The Sogie bill is the the longest-running bill in Senate interpellation.
SOGIE, an abbreviation combining sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender
expression, has become one of the main reference term to describe the LGBT
(or lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) community.
The SOGIE (Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Expression) equality bill,
also known as the Anti-Discrimination Bill, seeks to protect individuals
against sex and gender-based discrimination, which include denial of access
to public services, health services, employment and education.
The lower house has passed the bill which is great.
The next thing is for it to be included in the senate’s agenda. If this happens,
it’s going to be the longest the bill has reached in the history of the
Philippines. If not, the bill goes back to sleep until the new congress.
The truth is the bill has a lot of enemies in the senate, who express loud
opposition and hate for the bill.
Senator Manny Paquiao, Senator Villanueva, among others, including Senator
Tito Sotto, the senate president seems oppose to the bill.
The goal for those who support the SOGIE Bill is to be able to get the
support of those who show opposition for the bill.
Sogie bill when passed into law will protects the LGBT (lesbian,gay,bisexual,
transgender) from discriminatory acts such as:
- Denial of access to public services
- Including SOGIE as a criteria for hiring or dismissal of workers
- Refusing admission or expelling students in schools based on SOGIE
- Imposing disciplinary actions that are harsher than customary due to the student’s SOGIE
- Refusing or revoking accreditation of organizations based on the SOGIE of members
- Denying access to health services
- Denying the application for professional licenses and similar documents
- Denying access to establishments, facilities, and services open to the general public
- Forcing a person to undertake any medical or psychological examination to determine or alter one’s SOGIE
- Harassment committed by persons involved in law enforcement
- Publishing information intended to “out” or reveal the SOGIE of a person without consent
- Engaging in public speech which intends to shame or ridicule LGBT persons
- Subjecting persons to harassment motivated by the offenders bias against the offended party’s SOGIE, which may come in the form of any medium, including telecommunications and social media
- Subjecting any person to gender profiling
- Preventing a child under parental authority from expressing one’s SOGIE by inflicting or threatening to inflict bodily or physical harm or by causing mental or emotional suffering.
Some of the Philippine celebrities who supports the SOGIE Bill are:
- Anne Curtis
- Karen Davila
- Bianca Gonzales
- Heart Evangelista