H1 vs J1 visa residency
- Visa that allows U.S employers to temporarily employ foreign workers in specialty occupations.
- Contracts are reviewed by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) through the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO).
- Qualified for the benefits provided by the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA).
- May change their status to permanent resident in the US without the need to return to the Philippines.
- Non-immigrant visa issued to exchange visitors participating in programs that promote cultural exchange.
- Contracts were not reviewed and may not meet the minimum requirements set forth by the Philippine government.
- Not qualified for OWWA’s benefits since they are not considered as overseas Filipino workers (OFWs).
- There is a requirement to return to the Philippines after the program. An offer of employment is not included as a reason for waiving this requirement.
You may want to read: