Today, September 23, we celebrate 16 years of the establishment of formal diplomatic
relations between the Philippines and Tuvalu.
12 Things You Need To Know About The Philippines and Tuvalu
- Tuvalu is formerly known as the Ellice Islands, it is a Polynesian island nation
located in the Pacific Ocean, about midway between Hawaii and Australia.
- Majority of the inhabitants of Tuvalu are protestants.
- It is a former United Kingdom colony.
- English and Tuvaluan are the official languages.
- 96% of the population are Polynesians.
- The flight time from Manila, Philippines to Tonga, Tuvalu is 8 hours and 37 minutes.
- The flight distance from Manila to Tuvalu is about 4,057 miles or 6,529 kilometers.
- Tuvalu is 4 hours ahead of the Philippines. 2AM in the Philippines is 6AM in Tuvalu.
- The Philippines value of exports to Tuvalu is 8,674 US dollars in 2010 while the
Philippines import none.
- Nationals of Tuvalu are allowed to enter the Philippines without a visa if they stay
for thirty (30) days or less provided, they hold valid tickets for their return
journey to port of origin or next port of destination and their passports valid for
a period of at least six (6) months beyond the contemplated period of stay.
- Tuvalu is included in the in the list of 41 non-compliant countries that have no
companies or contractors with international operations hiring overseas Filipino workers, although there are a few deployed OFWs, as indicated by POEA data.
The deployment of overseas Filipino workers to non-compliant countries without
companies and contractors with international operations hiring ofw’s are not allowed.(DOLE)
- The Philippine Embassy in Australia has jurisdiction over Tuvalu.The Philippine
embassy in Australia is located at 1 Moonah Place, Yarralumla, Canberra, A.C.T. 2600
P.O. Box 3297, Manuka, A.C.T. 2603 Canberra, AUSTRALIA
Tel. Nos. (+612) 6273-2535/ 2536/ 5718/ 5719/
Fax No. (+612) 6273 3984
Duty Officer: +61-408-735-383