Located in San Miguel District in Manila, currently, the palace is the official residence of the President of the Philippines. This used to be the temporary residence of the Spanish Governor Generals when an earthquake toppled the Palacio del Gobernador in Intramuros in 1863, and later on, the American Governor generals also resided in Malacanang when they took over.
Malacañang Palace was a summer house built in 1750 by a wealthy Spaniard. It was sold to the government in 1825. Called “Posesion de Malacañan,” it was home to outgoing governors-general as they wait for their ship to Spain. It also became a temporary residence and office for the Spanish leaders when the 1863 earthquake toppled the Palacio del Gobernador in Intramuros.
Over time, the Palace has been renovated, extended, demolished, and rebuilt. The Americans were the first to hold office in Malacañang Palace. Manuel L.Quezon waste first president to live there.
In 1901, Emilio Aguinaldo stayed in the Palace as a prisoner after being captured by the Americans. President Quezon converted his room into a State Dining Room in 1935. It was named after Aguinaldo in 2003.