The Provincial Capitol of Bohol, constructed in 1855-1860, served as a tribunal, prison and living quarters for the Spanish military force.
Built in the traditional construction of stone and lime, records show that the builders used 27,300 bricks, 4,325 cavans of lime and 61,000 roofing tiles, with banaba wood for beams and girders, and bangkal wood for flooring. All these exceptional cultural, architectural, and historical values paved the way for the structure’s declaration on July 22, 2012, as an Important Cultural Property by the National Museum of the Philippines.
The declaration not only recognized its national significance, but also served to protect and conserve the edifice from pilferage, destruction, disasters and other threats.
On October 15, 2013, the 7.2 magnitude Bohol Earthquake hit the island province, followed by super typhoon Haiyan, damaging more than 19 declared heritage structures in Central Visayas, including the former Provincial Capitol building. The province of Bohol became a primary beneficiary of the unprecedented restoration and reconstruction program of the National Government during the term of former President Benigno Aquino, III.
On June 16, 2014, the Provincial Government of Bohol under former Governor Edgar Chatto donated the old capitol to the National Museum of the Philippines.
Finally, on July 22, 2018, the restored edifice with Spanish-American architectural details opened its doors to the public as the new National Museum Bohol, giving Boholanos a glimpse of Philippine history.