RA No.11310 shall be known as an Act Institutionalizing The Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program (4Ps).
The Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program is a conditional cash transfer (CCT) program that provides cash to beneficiary households, subject to compliance with program conditionalities.
The Pantawid Pamilya is central to the Philippine government’s poverty reduction and social protection strategy.
Since its inception in 2007, the Pantawid Pamilya has expanded at a rapid pace and now covers about 30 percent of the Philippines’ eligible poor households. (wb)
DSWD takes the lead in implementing the Pantawid Pamilya, with support from key agencies and local partners.
The Pantawid Pamilya targets poor households located in the poorest areas of the Philippines.
The Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program (4Ps) is more than a welfare program; it addresses structural inequities in society and promotes human capital development of the poor, thus, breaking the intergenerational cycle of poverty.
The conditions attached to the grants require parents to undergo training on responsible parenthood, have their children undergo health check-ups and ensure school attendance.
The program ensures that there are sufficient resources for the health, nutrition, and education of children aged 0-14-year-old.
Data from the Department of Finance showed that there are about 4.4 million active household beneficiaries under the 4Ps program, as of January 14, 2019. (Senate)
Each household beneficiary received cash assistance of P200 monthly or a total of P2,400 per year in 2018. This year and in 2020, cash assistance under the unconditional cash transfer (UCT) program will be increased to P300 per month or a total of P3,600.
Importance of Pantawid Pamilya Program
- It will reduce extreme hunger and chronic poverty
- Achievement of universal primary education
- Promotion of gender equality and empowerment of women
- Improvement of maternal health
- Reduction of child mortality
- Reduction of vulnerability to disaster
What are the Objectives of the Pantawid ng Pamilyang Pilipino Program?
The 4Ps has dual objectives as the flagship poverty alleviation program of the Aquino administration:
- Social assistance, giving monetary support to extremely poor families to respond to their immediate needs; and
- social development, breaking the intergenerational poverty cycle by investing in the health and education of poor children through programs such as:
- health check-ups for pregnant women and children aged 0 to 5;
- deworming of schoolchildren aged 6 to 14;
- enrollment of children in daycare, elementary, and secondary schools; and
- family development sessions.
The Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program before it became a law, by the way, was sponsored and authored in the Senate by Senator Leila de Lima. (source)
Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV, as vice chairman of De Lima’s committee, sponsored the measure on the floor on her behalf.
Senators who authored the Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program Act or RA 11310
- Leila de Lima
- Ralph Recto
- Franklin Drilon
- Loren Legarda
- Joel Villanueva
- Juan Eduardo Angara
- Paolo Benigno “Bam” Aquino
- Joseph Victor “JV” Ejercito
- Sherwin Gatchalian
- Cynthia Villar
- Nancy Binay
- Risa Hontiveros