The Enriquez Mansion: A Case for In-Situ Restoration
Are you familiar with this house?
As the home of a Filipino painter, this house in Quiapo eventually became the first location of the UP College of Fine Arts. Unfortunately, it is not restored at its original site.
The Enriquez Mansion formerly located on R. Hidalgo St. was the home of Rafael Enriquez y Villanueva, a Filipino painter of Spanish descent. It was built by Arch. Felix Roxas y Arroyo in 1867 and eventually became the first location of the UP College of Fine Arts.
Despite remaining intact after the Second World War, this beautiful house was not put to its potential at its very home in Quiapo.
Why was a building of such significance not given the care and attention it needed?
Now that we can be more knowledgeable than before regarding these matters because of social media and the internet, shouldn’t this inspire us to prioritize our culture to highlight our strengths that other nations can only covet — such as art and music?
To learn more about solutions on preventing heritage destruction, visit: