What do wetlands do?
1. Storage and clean water – Wetlands hold and provide most of our freshwater. They naturally filter pollutants, leaving water we can drink safely.
2. Keep us fed – Aquaculture is the fastest-growing food production sector, while inland fisheries alone provided 12 million tonnes of fish in 2018.
3. Underpin our global economy – More than one billion people rely on wetlands for income.
4. Provide nature a home – 40% of the world’s species live and breed in wetlands.
5. Keep us safe – Wetlands provide protection from floods and storms with each acre of wetland absorbing up to 1.5 million gallons of floodwater.
5 things we can do to help our wetlands
1. Use – safe, sustainable, and eco-ware methods of waste disposal
2. Conserve – water and harvest rainwater
3. Plant – native flora, creating habitat for wildlife
4. Learn – and spread awareness about the importance of wetlands
5. Participate – in citizen science projects and initiatives.
You may want to read: