Happiest birthday to the National Academy of Science and Technology Agriculture Sciences Division Chair, Academician Eufemio T. Rasco, Jr.!
He was born on February 3, 1950.
Acd. Rasco is recognized for his pioneering and outstanding contributions in the field of plant breeding, specifically tropical vegetables and tropical white potato breeding.
As a team leader, he led the development of hybrids of ampalaya, squash, tomato, eggplant, chili, cabbage, and open-pollinated onion at East-West Seed Company widely distributed in the country and other parts of Asia.
At the Institute of Plant Breeding, University of the Philippines Los Banos (UPLB), the cultivars of upo, squash, and ampalaya he developed with students and co-workers are still widely utilized by farmers.
He was an Executive Director of the Philippine Rice Research Institute (PhilRice), advocates energy in rice farming, coping with climate change, and rural transformation through a science-based support system for rice farmers.
He has a Ph.D. in Plant Breeding and International Agriculture from Cornell University in 1979 and is an academician of the National Academy of Science and Technology, scientist, and R and D administrator.
He has a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture Major in Animal Science University of the Philippines Los Baños in 1971 and a
Master of Science in Plant Physiology – University of the Philippines Los Baños in 1974.
His decades in research and public education at the University of the Philippines have inspired him to address young minds’ curiosity toward plant biotechnology and other scientific farming practices.
He pays attention to neglected plant species (sago, dragon fruit, pitcher plant, and nipa); has bred hybrid varieties of vegetables still used today in Asian countries, 25 years since their introduction; proposed for and became editor-in-chief of the multi-disciplinary journal, Banwa; founding research director of East-West Seed Co.; headed the UPLB Institute of Plant Breeding; and helped the International Potato Center in Asia to grow.
The following are the honor and awards Acd. Eufemio T. Rasco Jr. received:
- 2009 – Outstanding Alumnus Award – University of the Philippines System
- 2009 – Academician – National Academy of Science and Technology
- 2009 – Outstanding Monograph Award – National Academy of Science and Technology
- 2008 – Outstanding Book Award – National Academy of Science and Technology
- 2007 – 25th Anniversary Recognition Award – East-West Seed Company
- 1997 – Honorary Fellow Award – Federation of Crop Science of the Philippines
- 1991 – Civil Service National Award for Vegetable Team of IPB
- 1990 – Pantas Award – Philippine Council for Agriculture, Forestry and Natural Resources Research and Development (PCARRD)
- 1990 – Rizal Pro Patria Award – Department of Agriculture
- 1989 – Ten Outstanding Young Men (TOYM) – Philippine Jaycees
- 1989 – Ten Outstanding Young Scientist (TOYS) – Department of Science and Technology
- 1984 – Achievement Award – Society for the Advancement of Vegetable Industry
Acd. Eufemio T. Rasco Jr has a research interest in
- Vegetables, potato, and sweet-potato breeding and agronomy
- Science and society
- Genetically-modified crops
- Under-utilized crops
- Sustainability of modern agriculture
- Energy in rice farming
- Coping with climate change
- Rural transformation through a science-based support system for rice farmers
You may want to read: