The new Liwasang Gomburza is a work in progress.
The Project’s Title is “Site Development and Integration PF The Gomburza
Monument and the Old Legislative Building Along and Across Padre Burgos
Avenue in the City of Manila”.
This is a project of the National Museum in partnership with the Intramuros
Administration and implemented with the support of the Department of Public
Works and Highways (DPWH), the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA),
and the City of Manila.
The New Liwasang Gomburza project will:
- Create a new landmark public cultural place
- Improve the frontage and vista of the old legislative building, a national
historical landmark and now the national museum of fine arts.
- Improve the surroundings of the Gomburza Monument by Solomon Saprid, a National
Monument erected in 1972 on the centennial of the martyrdom of Fr.Mariano Gomez,
Fr.Jose Burgos and Fr.Jacinto Zamora.
- Improve the vista of the walls of Intramuros, a National Cultural Treasure,
from Padre Burgos Avenue.
- Implement the initial stage of enhanced integration.