June is Philippine Environment Month.
The Philippines join the world environment day, June 5.
This year’s Philippine Environment Month message is
Beat Plastic pollution, If you can’t reuse it, refuse it!
This world environment day, be part of the solution. Join the campaign to end
single-use plastics and beat plastic pollution.
As the Philippines join the global celebration of world environment day, everyone is
encourage to do something to prevent plastic pollution. A small actions when done
together counts a lot to help.
You can do the following
- Carry refillable water bottle
- Pick up any plastic you see when you’re out walking
- Refuse plastic cutlery and straws
- Tell your local officials that you support a ban on single-use plastic bags
- Use a customized bag to avoid using so many plastic bags
The reasons why plastic straws suck are
- They harm marine wildlife and ecosystems
- They expose us to unhealthy toxic chemicals
- We use it for a minute but it will be here for centuries and it piles up daily
Here are 3 ways you can stop sucking plastics and thereby help the environment:
- Skip the straw and sip your drink
- Switch to reusable steel glass or bamboo straws
- Use paper straws instead
Remember that compostable or biodegradable plastics do not break down safely
in ocean conditions.
A polluted environment harms our children. More than 1 in 4 deaths of children
under 5 years of age are attributable to unhealthy environments.
Each year, according to the World Health Organization, 1.7 million deaths of children
under 5 are linked to environment.
- 570,000 deaths are attributable to respiratory infections including pneumonia
- 360,000 deaths are attributable to diarrhea
- 270,000 deaths are attributable to neonatal conditions including prematurity
- 200,00 deaths are attributable to unintentional injuries such as burns and drowning
- 200,000 deaths are attributable to malaria
Reducing the environment risks could prevent a quarter of these deaths.