The Punong Barangay is the highest government official in the Barangay.
Barangay is the smallest local government unit or the basic political unit in the Philippines.
Punong Barangay is akin to that of the President with respect to the national
government, Governor with respect to the province and Mayor with respect to the cities and municipalities.
There are 3 branches of government in the Philippines namely the executive branch, the legislative branch and the judicial branch.
It is somewhat similar to the United States of America right?
The Executive Branch job is to enforce the law, the legislative branch job is to
enact laws and the judicial branch job is to interpret the law.
Punong Barangay is an executive position. It means that like the President of the Philippines, the governor of the province and the Mayors of cities and municipalities, Punong Barangay’s job is to execute the laws.
So what exactly does a punong barangay do, If the position is akin to that of a
President, Governor, or mayor, then a Punong barangay is a powerful position.
Well, you are right, the position is powerful and has a lot of responsibilities.
Here are the Powers of the Punong Barangay:
- He shall be entitled to possess and carry firearm within his territorial jurisdiction, subject to appropriate rules and regulations.
- Enforce all laws and ordinances which are applicable within the Barangay
- Negotiate, enter into, and sign contracts for and in behalf of the Barangay, upon authorization of the Sangguniang Barangay
- Maintain public order in the Barangay and, in pursuance thereof, assist the city or municipal mayor and the sanggunian members in the performance of their duties and functions
- Call and preside over the sessions of the Sangguniang Barangay and the Barangay assembly, and vote only to break a tie
- Upon approval by a majority of all the members of the Sangguniang Barangay, appoint or replace the Barangay treasurer, the Barangay secretary, and other appointive Barangay officials
- Organize and lead an emergency group whenever the same
may be necessary for the maintenance of peace and order
or on occasions of emergency or calamity within the
- In coordination with the Barangay development council, prepare the annual executive and supplemental budgets of the Barangay
- Approve vouchers relating to the disbursement of Barangay funds
- Enforce laws and regulations relating to pollution control and
protection of the environment
- Administer the operation of the Katarungang PamBarangay
- Exercise general supervision over the activities of the Sangguniang Kabataan
- Ensure the delivery of basic services
- Conduct an annual palarong Barangay which shall feature traditional sports and disciplines included in national and international games, in coordination with the Department of Education, Culture and Sports
- Promote the general welfare of the Barangay
- Exercise such other powers and perform such other duties and functions as may be prescribed by law or ordinance