I read this phrase earlier today on my Facebook feed which says “tatakbo ng sangguniang kabataan kahit walang alam”.
I asked myself, is there an educational qualification to run for the office of Sangguniang Kabataan chairman and Sangguniang Kabataan member?
Must one be smart or intelligent to qualify?
How about if you are dumb and less average in intelligence? will it disqualify you to run and be elected?
I checked what the law says regarding the qualifications of a Sangguniang Kabataan chairman and Sangguniang Kabataan members.
And it seems that being smart or intelligent is not a qualification.
Be aware that the local government code of the Philippines mandates that there shall be in every Barangay a Sangguniang Kabataan to be composed of a chairman, seven (7) members, a secretary, and a treasurer.
The Qualifications of an SK Chairman and Sanggunian Members are the following:
- Must be a citizen of the Philippines
- A qualified voter of the Katipunan ng Kabataan
- A resident of the Barangay for at least one (1) year immediately prior to an election
- At least eighteen 18 years but not more than 24 years of age on the day of the election
- Able to read and write Filipino, English, or the local dialect
- Must not have been convicted by final judgment of any crime involving moral turpitude
- Must not be related within the second civil degree of consanguinity or affinity to any incumbent elected national official or to any incumbent elected regional, provincial, city, municipal, or barangay official, in the locality where he or she seeks to be elected
There shall be in every barangay a Katipunan ng Kabataan to be composed of all citizens of the Philippines residing in the barangay for at least six (6) months, who are at least fifteen (15) but not more than thirty (30) years of age, and who are duly registered in the list of the Commission on Elections (COMELEC) and/or the records of the Sangguniang Kabataan secretary.
The above qualifications are what the law provides as the qualifications of those who want to serve as Sangguniang Kabataan Chairman and Sangguniang Kabataan members.
I read the law and even read between the lines and I can not see any words which say that one must be smart or intelligent to be eligible to run.
If you have the desire to serve in the Sangguniang Kabataan, regardless of the level of your intelligence, you should run and who knows comes May 14, you might get elected.
You may want to read: