The Department of Tourism has a new secretary in the person of Bernadette
Who is she?
11 Things You Need To Know About Bernadette Romulo Puyat
1. She is a daughter of Alberto Romulo. Alberto Romulo is a prominent Politician
and diplomat. He served in the Philippine in various capacities as Executive Secretary,
Finance Secretary, Foreign Affairs Secretary, and Budget Secretary.
2.Bernadette Romulo Puyat’s mother, Lovely Romulo was the former Chairperson of the
National Council on Disability Affairs.
3.She is a granddaughter of Carlos P. Romulo, who became Minister of Foreign Affairs
and president of the United Nations General Assembly.
4. She is married to a lawyer. She is a widow.
5. She is a sister of Roman Romulo. Roman is a former congressman representing the
Lone District of Pasig City for three consecutive terms from 2007 to 2016. He is married
to Shalani Soledad.
6. She is second to the youngest in the brood of five.
7. She is smart. She graduated cum laude in from the University of the Philippines. She has amasters of arts in economics degree from the same university.
8. She taught in the University of the Philippines School of Economics for
nine (9) years.
9. She is a mother of two. Vito and Maia, now 18 and 17 years old.
10. She served 3 Presidents. She served President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo as consultant
to the Presidential Management Staff (PMS). She served as the undersecretary for
special concerns in the Department of Agriculture during the term of President Noynoy
Aquino. And Now as Tourism Secretary under the term of President Digong.
11. Bernadette Romulo Puyat, as the new DOT Secretary, is likely to prioritize
farm and culinary tourism.
The Department of Tourism (DOT) will now be in good hands.
Department of Tourism’s mandate by the way is to be the primary planning,
implementing, and regulatory government agency tasked to develop and promote the
Philippine tourism industry, both domestic and international.