The Department of Tourism has a new secretary in the person of Bernadette
Who is she?
11 Things You Need To Know About Bernadette Romulo Puyat
1. She is a daughter of Alberto Romulo. Alberto Romulo is a prominent Politician
and diplomat. He served in the Philippine in various capacities as Executive Secretary, Finance Secretary, Foreign Affairs Secretary, and Budget Secretary.
2. Bernadette Romulo Puyat’s mother, Lovely Romulo was the former Chairperson of the National Council on Disability Affairs.
3. She is a granddaughter of Carlos P. Romulo, who became Minister of Foreign Affairs and president of the United Nations General Assembly.
4. She is married to a lawyer. She is a widow.
5. She is a sister of Roman Romulo. Roman is a former congressman representing the Lone District of Pasig City for three consecutive terms from 2007 to 2016. He is married to Shalani Soledad.
6. She is second to the youngest in the brood of five.
7. She is smart. She graduated cum laude from the University of the Philippines. She has a master’s of arts in economics degree from the same university.
8. She taught in the University of the Philippines School of Economics for nine (9) years.
10. She served 3 Presidents. She served President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo as a consultant to the Presidential Management Staff (PMS). She served as the undersecretary for special concerns in the Department of Agriculture during the term of President Noynoy Aquino. And Now as Tourism Secretary under the term of President Digong.
11. Bernadette Romulo Puyat, as the new DOT Secretary, is likely to prioritize
farm and culinary tourism.
The Department of Tourism (DOT) will now be in good hands.
Department of Tourism’s mandate, by the way, is to be the primary planning,
implementing, and regulatory government agency tasked to develop and promote the Philippine tourism industry, both domestic and international.