Leila De Lima is the present Secretary of Justice of the Philippines. (She is now a Senator).
She is presently in the news allegedly meddling with the internal affairs of the powerful “Iglesia Ni Cristo” church.
How well do you know her?
For a start, Secretary Leila De lima’s full name is Leila Magistrado de Lima. She was born on August 27, 1959 in Iriga City, Camarines Sur, Philippines.
She is the eldest daughter of the former Philippine COMELEC Commissioner Vicente de Lima and Norma Magistrado.
She has 2 sons named Israel and Vincent Joshua. She has 2 grand children.
Secretary De Lima’s civil status is vague. Her marriage is reported annulled a long time ago. She was formerly married to Plaridel Bohol (Source:Rappler and FilipinoScribe).
She is an alumnae of San Beda College where she studied from 1981 until 1985.
She was the class salutatorian when she graduated from the San Beda college of law in 1985.
She landed 8th place in the 1985 Philippine Bar Examination.
The Bar Exam is given once a year. The Examination is held every November in the University of Santo Tomas.
Prior to law school, Leila De Lima attended De La Salle University where she obtained her Bachelors degree with major History and Political science.
She took her elementary and high school education at La Consolacion College where she graduated Valedictorian or 1st in her class.
Before her appointment as Secretary of Justice on June 2010, Leila De Lima was the Chairperson of the Commission on Human Rights (CHR) from 2008 until 2010.
Prior to the above high-profile positions, Secretary Leila De Lima worked in the following offices and school:
- Partner, De Lima Law Firm (1998–2008)
- Junior Partner, Roco, Buñag, Kapunan and Migallos from 1995
until June 1998
- Clerk/Secretary, House of Representatives Electoral Tribunal
from 1993 until 1995
- Junior Associate, Jardeleza Law Offices from 1991 until 1992
- Junior Associate, Jardeleza Sobreviñas Diaz Hayudini and Bodegon
Law Offices from 1989 until 1991)
- Legal Staff, Supreme Court Associate Justice Isagani A. Cruz
from 1986 until 1989
- Professor, San Beda College of Law (from 1986 until 1994 and a
again from 2006 until 2007
Awards and Distinctions
- Madame Helen D. de los Santos Memorial Medallion of Honor and
Scroll of Commendation (2012)
- Most Outstanding Bedan Alumna (2011)
- Rokyaw Ibalnong Bikol Achievement Awardee in the field of
Government Service (2011)
- Gawad Justice Felix Angelo Bautista Awardee in recognition of
services and achievements in the field of Criminal Justice (2011)
- 2nd Orgullo Kan Bikol Awards for Government Service (2011)
- Most Outstanding Bedan Alumna (2010)
- Gawad Lingkod Masa Awardee (2010)
- Metrobank Foundation Professorial Chair for Public Service
and Governance (2010)
- Excellent Public Servant Award, Defender of People’s Rights,
“Agent of Change” Awardee (2010)
- GMANews TV’s Public Servant of the Year (2009)
- Philippine Quality Service Award of Excellence (2009)
- Sumagang Award for Outstanding Achievements in Government
- 3rd Bayi Citation (2009)
- Raul S. Roco Award for Public Service Excellence (2009)
- Urban Poor Person of the Year Award (2008)
Despite the objections and protests of the Iglesia Ni Cristo, substantial number of people are urging her to continue the investigation into the alleged abductions of ministers of the said powerful church.
Leila De Lima is a bonafide member of the ruling Liberal party where the incumbent President belong. She is being rumored to be prepping for a senatorial bid but has repeatedly said she has no plans for 2016 yet. She said she is still awaiting for invitation from the ruling Liberal Party to join next year’selections.